Chalkwell to Southchurch Hall via the sea-front ending with a shared picnic
This walk happened on Sun 14th July 9.45 am-12 pm but you can follow the walk yourself using the information below.
Walk 9 of T100 Welcome to the Kitchen Table
Assembling on the promenade below Chalkwell Station, the walk heads towards Southend, enjoying views of the estuary and the longest pleasure pier in the world.
If you follow the route, look out for the famous Rossi’s seafront ice-cream parlour where you can stop for a break.
Also look out for the cliff lift, a century old funicular, which clings to the hillside on your left and Adventure Island on your right. The route continues on under the pier and along the golden mile as far as the grand, Grade II Kursaal building.
Here the walk leaves the seafront and heads towards Southchurch Hall, a Grade I listed Medieval Manor House, which is a great place to have a picnic.
- Meet: Chalkwell Esplanade, below Chalkwell Station, The Ridgeway, Chalkwell, Essex, SS0 8PX
- 9.45 am: Registration
- 10.00 am: Walk starts
- 12.00 pm:Walk ends (including a Rossi, refreshment stop on route) at Southchurch Hall, Park Ln, Southend-on-Sea SS1
- 1.00/3.00 pm: Picnic stop at Southchurch Hall
- Duration: 2 hours walk, 3-4 hours including picnic
- Distance: Approx 3.2 miles
- Grading: Easy
- Terrain: This walk is on promenade and pavement.
Many thanks to our original walk leaders: Sally Chinea and Hazel Huber
Nearest train station at the start: Chalkwell Station, The Ridgeway, Chalkwell, Essex, SS0 8PX
Nearest train station at the end: Southend East Station, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2QY
Car parks at the start:
- Chalkwell Park Station – no parking.
- Roadside parking a distance beyond the double yellow lines around the station.
- Seafront £2.30 for 2hrs, free after 6.00 p.m.
- JustPark is available.
Car parks at the end:
- Southend East Station, Southend-on-Sea SS1 2QY
- Riviera Drive car park,
- Ilfracombe Avenue car park: 3 hrs £2.20, 4 hrs £2.50
- Fairheads Green Car Park by Sealift Centre (seafront by Kursaal) 4 hrs £6:60
- JustPark is available
This walk is accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs. Lifts and ramps are available at all inclines.
Thurrock 100 walks are of different lengths and on different terrain. Some are mainly on footpaths, and others mainly on footpaths where ground may be uneven. If this walk doesn’t suit you, there is probably another one that will.
You need to choose walks within your capabilities; the walk leaders are experienced but must take your word that you are sufficiently fit for the grade of walk you have chosen.
Due care has been exercised in organising the walks, however Kinetika, the funders and associated partners of the project cannot accept liability for loss, accident or injury caused to any person following the routes. Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
What to bring
Please ensure that you are properly equipped for all walks. The weather can be unpredictable so bring waterproof clothing and/or sun hats and sun cream – it’s best to be prepared for everything!
Walking boots/shoes are recommended, but otherwise please wear suitable and comfortable footwear- best to leave open-toe sandals or high heels at home. Make sure you bring a packed lunch, if necessary, and plenty to drink.
Download the flyer here: T100 2019 FLYER
Thurrock 100 would like to extend a huge thank you to its funders and delivery partners.