Sheerness to Minster
Mon 15th July 9.45 am- 1.30 pm
Walk 10a of T100 Welcome to the Kitchen Table
From the station we visit Blue Town and hear stories of its historic past. Then we head for Rose Street Cottage of Curiosities, an old docker’s cottage and the home of Sheppey Promenade and Big Fish Arts, for tea and scones and an opportunity to share stories and drawings.
We walk our cream teas off along Marine Parade, with views of the estuary, ending with a picnic in the grounds of Minster Gatehouse Museum and a chance to look inside at some of its collection.
Creative Activity on the route
1.30 – 2.30 During the shared picnic at Minster Abbey Gatehouse. Feel free to only join in for the creative activity if you don’t want to join the walk. Each day there’ll be a theme – come and find out what it is today!
- Meet: Sheerness on Sea Railway Station, Sheerness ME12 1RJ
- 9.45 am: Registration
- 10.00 am: Walk starts
- 11.00 am: Tea and scones
- 12.00 pm: Walk to Minster
- 1.30 pm: Walk ends at Minster Abbey Gatehouse Museum Minster on Sea, Sheerness ME12 2HW
- Duration: 3.5 hours
- Distance: Approx 3.5 miles
- Grading: Easy
- Terrain: The walk is on pavements and a tarmac seaside promenade. This walk is accessible for pushchairs and wheelchairs but it should be noted that towards the end there are steps up the cliff, with an alternative route up the hill to Minster Gatehouse Museum.
- Walk Leader: Chris Reed
All T100 walks are free to join but you must reserve your place on Eventbrite
- Nearest train station at the start: Sheerness Station, Sheerness ME12 1RJ
- Trains depart Sheerness at 14.48, 15.18, 15.51 16.18 and 16.48.
- Trains depart Queenborough at 14.53, 15.23, 15.56, 16.23 and 16.53.
- Queenborough is an interesting historic town and worth a wander.
Parking in Sheerness: There are lots of car parks in Sheerness to choose from.
Parking in Minster:
- Sea Front, Parking, Minster, Sheerness, ME12 2NJ;
- Shinglebank Car Park, Marine Parade, Minster on Sea, Sheerness ME12 2TE.
The 362 bus runs between Minster and Sheerness
- The 362 departs Minster Queens Road Co-op at 13.56 or 16.23. The journey time is about 15 minutes.
- The 360 departs from Minster Back lane at 14.35 and then 16.10.
- The 367 departs Minster Scocles Rd Top to Queenborough Railway Station at 14.33 and 15.33. It takes about 15 minutes and does not go to Sheerness.
- (The gap around between approx 3.00 and 4.00 p.m. is because the buses become school buses during that time. )
This walk is accessible for pushchairs and wheelchairs but it should be noted that towards the end there are steps up the cliff, with an alternative route up the hill to Minster Gatehouse Museum.
Thurrock 100 walks are of different lengths and on different terrain. Some are mainly on footpaths, and others mainly on footpaths where ground may be uneven. If this walk doesn’t suit you, there is probably another one that will.
You need to choose walks within your capabilities; the walk leaders are experienced but must take your word that you are sufficiently fit for the grade of walk you have chosen.
Walk leaders will be at the start of the walk regardless of the weather. In the unlikely event of any unforeseen circumstances, Kinetika reserve the right to change or cancel a walk and/or performance. Please check the website regularly for any updates or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.
Due care has been exercised in organising the walks, however Kinetika, the funders and associated partners of the project cannot accept liability for loss, accident or injury caused to any person following the routes. Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
What to bring
Please ensure that you are properly equipped for all walks. The weather can be unpredictable so bring waterproof clothing and/or sun hats and sun cream – it’s best to be prepared for everything!
Walking boots/shoes are recommended, but otherwise please wear suitable and comfortable footwear- best to leave open-toe sandals or high heels at home. Make sure you bring a packed lunch, if necessary, and plenty to drink.
We will be taking photographs and video of this event to promote and celebrate the project in print and online. If you do not give consent to be photographed or filmed, that’s absolutely fine, please let a member of the Kinetika team know on the day.
Download the flyer here: T100 2019 FLYER
Thurrock 100 would like to extend a huge thank you to its funders and delivery partners.