Little Thurrock and around
Map: Thurrock100-Walk7 15 July
This circular walk begins at Thurrock Rugby Club before passing King George’s Field and Hangman’s Wood, which is a site of Special Scientific Interest owing to the colonies of bats who use the underground caves left by 17th miners as hibernation sites. You will pass Thameside School, and visit Orsett before returning to the Rugby Club.
You don’t need to walk the full route (about 10 miles) if you don’t want to – there are pick up/drop off points marked in green below. The original approx walk timings are below for your reference. The main points are:
- 12.00 Set off from Thurrock Rugby Club.
- 13.30 Arrive at Hangman’s Woods, Blackshots (2.5 miles), (do you know about the Daneholes?)
- 14.00 Walk past Thameside Primary Academy (4 miles) (we had a flag ceremony here in 2015).
- 14.45 Arrive at the Ship, Little Thurrock, for a refreshment break.
- 15.30 Walk to Orsett Heath, via Rookery Hill and Palmers College.
- 16.45 Refreshment stop at the Fox, Orsett Heath (6.5 miles).
- 18.30 Enjoy views towards Orsett in the first swathe of Green belt land outside Grays.
- 19.30 Return to Thurrock Rugby Club.
Download our original day’s schedule and map here so you can follow it yourself:
- Schedule: 7. 150630 Little Thurrock schedule v2
- Map: Thurrock100-Walk7 15 July
Thurrock Rugby Club.
Thurrock Rugby Club and surrounding roads.
Please download the map above for more detail on which parts of the route are most accessible. Blue routes have been identified as most likely to be suitable for wheelchairs users and buggies, taking into account the quality, gradient and availability of dropped kerbs on the path.
Whilst we endeavour to make all our walks as safe and enjoyable as possible, any walk attended is done so at your own risk. Due care has been exercised in organising the walks however Thurrock Council and associated sponsors accept no liability for loss, accident or injury caused to any person following the routes.
You need to choose walks within your capabilities; and if not on one of the Thurrock 100 guided walks, you should consider walking with a friend.
Equipment and Clothing
This walk originally took place on Wednesday 15 July 2015.